The University at Buffalo (UB) will receive up to $47.5 million from the Buffalo Billion to build out and expand their existing biomedical research capacity in order to accelerate recent advances in tailored treatment options and improve health outcomes.
The Buffalo Institute for Genomics and Data Analytics (BIG) boasts the brightest minds in the fields of bioinformatics, omics and data analytics to accelerate life sciences growth in the region. BIG provides partners with technical expertise, talent, state-of-the-art facilities, high-tech genomic and proteomic equipment, big data solutions and funding.
BIG partners have benefited from this incentive by:
- Leveraging faculty expertise
- Conducting clinical trials with UB
- Accessing specialized genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics equipment to support research and development of new/enhanced products and services
- Acquiring capital equipment through a forgivable loan
- Utilizing the cutting-edge infrastructure at UB’s biorepository or Center for Computational Research
The following companies currently have agreements with the Buffalo Institute for Genomics and have created more than 500 jobs.
BIG’s resources help to advance molecular diagnostics tests, companion diagnostics, therapeutics agents and precision medicine techniques to speed product to market innovations.