Buffalo Harbor State Park
The newest state park in the system, Buffalo Harbor State Park is the first state park in the city of Buffalo. Boasting beautiful views of Lake Erie, the park is home to a 1,100 slip marina, a restaurant, boat launches, personal watercraft launches, fish cleaning station, restrooms, and a beach for strolling and sunbathing, and a nautical themed playground great for kids of all ages.
Completed projects via the Buffalo Billion at Buffalo Harbor State Park include:
- Public boat launch
- Expansion of utilities
- Redesigned vehicular roadway and parking to improve traffic flow for park users and boaters
- Nautically-themed destination playground
- Two open-air picnic pavilions
- New park furnishings
- Improved lighting and walkways
- Redesign of the break wall at the marina, which features a pedestrian walkway overlook, fishing access and seating.
These improvements, which helped to attract more than 134,000 visitors to the park during its first year of operation in 2015, continue to attract visitors. In 2020, the park attracted more than 283,000 visitors.
Buffalo Harbor State Park is complete.
The creation of this new state park along Lake Erie is propelling the revitalization of Buffalo’s waterfront. The designation is tied to the official transfer of 340 acres of land on Buffalo’s Outer Harbor from the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) to New York State. The project received $10 million from the Buffalo Billion.